Pages

Title

Was Fiddling With Some Theme Changes; Lost All My Disqus Comments :(

Friday, February 3, 2012

Just books! Nothing else!

It was more than a year that I caught up with some good book to read. The last weekend, a read of this post made me restart my reading journey in this new year of 2012. Also joined here, and created an online shelf of the books I read and the books to read this year. And on the Sunday, I went to 'Odyssey', my first visit to this book store, all this while I used to buy the second-hand/pirated books at Jayanagar 4th block.

I entered level two of the building, and as I moved in further inside, I was only welcomed by some kid stuff - children fiction, stationery and some toys. I approached the store-helper and asked 'where do I find the other books, uh, the adult books?', he gave a half-grin and said 'I didn't understand what you said', I broke into a smile as I realized that I just used a wrong word there, or rather used a word wrongly. Later, my mother-tongue came to my rescue, and he asked me to go a level down for the 'adult' books !

Yeah! There it was! A sea of books, ok, a good number of books to say. I loved that sight. I always loved visiting the book stores, picking the nicest of the books, sitting on the stool and turning few pages. During my college days, whenever I visited Forum, I made sure that I stopped by Landmark, at least for a window shopping or to get to know the best-sellers and to make a mental notes of which books to buy from Jayanagar 4th block at a price 1/4th of the price of the original book. Somehow, I wasn't that guilt about buying a pirated copy that time.

Back to the scene, I had few books in my mind, mainly some biographies, so checked the 'BIOGRAPHY' section for  'Open' , 'Truman',  'The Story of My experiments with truth' but found none.

Then, for a while I thought I should read some philosophy, and checked some Robin Sharma's, but for some reason his books failed to impress me, may be because I am very much influenced by Paulo Coelho's thoughts, and hence the former really failed to make a mark on me.

Then moved on to fiction, I had two books in my mind, 'Midnight's Children' and 'The Fountain Head', while checking for these, a book with the bold letters , 'GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ One hundred years of solitude', caught my attention. I remembered reading about this author the day before and picked up a copy of this book, read the review by Salman Rushdie, who described the book as the greatest in any language of the last fifty years. I thought it would be nice to read a book just like that without doing much research on it like how I buy the 'wildstones' or 'the park avenues' without testing them once. Most of the times the choice would turn to be good and at times a dud! Whatever the outcome be, the surprise factor that comes with it would still be great!

So there I go, bought the book, read a few pages, and updated the 'Currently reading' section in my goodreads account.

PS - I wish facebook would add a plug-in to update our 'Currently reading' status, that would help some lazy readers like me to read more for the heck of utter show-off !!

Here's one more dimension of what I said above, a pic of the book from my new HTC Wildfire S!

No comments:

Post a Comment